Essay on Writing Skills Part 2
When you have completed your exam and reviewed your answers, click Submit Exam. Answers will not be recorded until you hit Submit Exam. If you need to exit before completing the exam, click Cancel Exam. Questions 1 to 20: Select the best answer to each question. Note that a question and its answers may be split across a page break, so be sure that you have seen the entire question and all the answers before choosing an answer.
1. Which of the following would be an appropriate way to add variety to your sentences?
A. Add personal anecdotes. B. Use questions and answers together. C. Use more close-up words. D. Make your sentences read like a spoken conversation.
2. Which …show more content…
7. Which of the following direct quotations is punctuated properly?
A. "Way to go, Sean", the coach shouted. "That was a great run!" B. "Way to go, Sean", the coach shouted. "That was a great run"! C. "Way to go, Sean," the coach shouted. "That was a great run!" D. "Way to go, Sean," the coach shouted. "That was a great run"!
8. Which one of the following sentences or phrases is most likely to be considered a cliché?
A. How dead is a dead doornail? B. When in doubt, pout. C. Look before you leap. D. Are you a man or a moose?
9. Read the word in parentheses; then decide which of these sentences most effectively translates an abstract concept into a mental picture.
A. (Freedom) On her twenty-first birthday, Lola declared herself a woman. B. (Studious) Lucy lay on her bed reading a back issue of National Geographic. C. (Rumors) Whispers of doubt filled the empty halls like the reek of boiled cabbage. D. (Sunrise) The rising sun transformed the canyon into bright stone and deep shadow.
10. A synonym is a word that's
A. pronounced the same. B. opposite in meaning. C. defined in a thesaurus. D. similar in meaning.
11. Find the sentence with the active voice.
A. The bill was passed by the legislature. B. The chairman told me that the legislature passed the bill. C. It was voted by the legislature to pass. D. I was told by the chairman that the bill was passed by the legislature.